Sunday, July 20, 2008

A TRUE Open Water Swim

Gary went to the lake with me yesterday. We went to a different beach where the water's deeper. This is helpful because that's how it will be on race day and if there's one thing I've learned about triathlons it's "train like you'll be racing."

I would never go to the lake to swim alone, even with other people there, but more than just a swim-buddy, it was great having Gary there. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy, and I can kind of get stuck in taking baby steps when my steps could really be much bigger.

He's like, "Just swim. Stop thinking about swimming and just swim from here to this buoy to start."

Once I got relaxed, I was able to do it. I think I swam freestyle more today in training today than I did on race day. Training in Ann's pool the last couple weeks really helped me take it to the lake. I'm definitely seeing improvement already, but I have a long way to go.

I'm going to call the Park Office tomorrow to see if anyone knows how far apart the buoys are placed. That will undoubtedly be the weirdest question they'll have received, but I'm an expert at asking weird questions and if I get my answer, who cares?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...