Friday, December 30, 2011

Me versus the majorette

I recently found an 8x10 photo from my days as a majorette at Nitro Junior High School. I scanned it and posted it as my profile pic on Facebook.

I don't spend much time worrying about aging. I've been using quality moisturizers since I was 21, and will continue to do so, I have good genes (my grandmother's skin is softer than mine) and I quit going to the tanning bed years ago.

But when I did the math on how many years it had been since the picture was taken, I let my curiosity take me down a fun road: I wanted to see how much older I really looked.

So, I cropped the majorette picture and juxtaposed it with a mug shot taken of me late this summer.

You can clearly see some aging on the image to the right (above). I wouldn't go so far as to call it a wiser countenance, but definitely one that reveals experience, hardship and certainly plenty of adventure.

I seem to have more freckles today, and I stopped using Sun-In years ago so that the hair color you see today is all natural. And I definitely don't look 14 anymore.

But I don't look 50 either.

The picture was shot 22 years ago. When I consider that, I'm pretty pleased with how the ruggedness of life has treated me. I certainly could have aged much more rapidly these last years.

Of course, because by now speaking of the topic I will have jinxed it, the picture that will be taken of me 22 years from now will undoubtedly reveal a horrid old lady.

I hope you'll still be reading to find out.

5 comments:

Karen said...

LOL Sun-in... I have not thought about that product in years. I think I can still remember the smell of it. oy. LOVE your majorette picture! too cute.

Lora Abernathy said...

Ha ha. Thanks, Karen. I forgot about Sun-In, too, until I saw this pic.

RockStarTri said...

Cute picture but what's wrong with 50? Ahem...

Lora Abernathy said...

Ha ha. Thought about amending that line. Nothing is wrong with 50, but to look it when you're 36? Eh, a little different.

Alili said...

You look fabulous! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...