Monday, December 8, 2008

No Training for the Sick

My eyes had barely opened. I knew that the soft dawn light peeping in from the crack in my curtains meant that I had slept in longer than I'd planned.

It was at this moment that I noticed the scratch in my throat, a scratch that would actually end-up precipitating a week's worth of physical misery.

I tried everything to squash my cold. I started with Advil Cold and Sinus. Nothing. I moved on to Dayquil/Nyquil. Nothing. Someone recommended Alka Seltzer. I cringed at the thought of downing that stuff, but I was desperate for relief.

Gary went to the drugstore to pick it up for me. He called while he was there to see if I wanted cherry or orange. "Orange," my voice managed to crackle over the phone. How sweet of him to ask.

After a couple days, I started feeling "not as bad." Seeing that my problem was now only nasal congestion, I tried, at another recommendation, Afrin.

Let me tell you, that stuff is like magic pixie dust. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I felt like my breathing was finally given back to me.

After 9 days of rest, I finally felt well enough to go to the Y today. I'm bummed that I had to be out that long, but I wanted to take a few days getting good and rested so as not to be out a few weeks because I was too anxious.

More on my first day at the Y later.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...