Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Notes on a Y

I've been going to the Y for about a week now and am so glad to have the opportunity to do so.

Like I thought, I'm enjoying swimming the most. It's so relaxing, even when I'm working hard.

I feel so at one with the water, it's such a shame I'm not a better swimmer. I'm not surprised by this, though. My middle name really should have been Irony.

I've been doing strength training, too; usually before I do anything aerobic. It's my understanding that it helps burn the fat that way.

I haven't been to a gym in eight years - easily - so I've been using the machines that look familiar to me first, and have slowly been incorporating the unfamiliar ones into my routine. That usually happens after I spend a second watching someone out of the corner of my eye use it first, though.

The treadmill is the beast I'd always remembered it. Even with the ability to run five miles now at some pretty decent grades, completing one mile takes an eternity.

No problem. The Y has an indoor track. It does take 17 loops to complete one mile, but it is still much better than the treadmill.

With that in mind, though, I'm still going to plan most of my running for outside. My running has been slacking quite a bit, but swimming is my WORST sport, so it'll be good to really focus on it for a while.

They've got some bike-ish equipment in the gym, as well as a couple recumbent bikes, but I honestly think they'd be a waste of my time. The next best thing to biking outside or being on a trainer is spinning, so I'm just going to have to sign up for that class.

I already feel like it's my home away from home. Sigh...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...