Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Let's Round 'Em Up!

Beginner Triathlete has a wonderful feature that allows users to log times and mileage for the three main sports. I was checking out mine this morning and these are my totals for 2008...

I spent 40 hours and 8 minutes biking 456 miles. I spent 70 hours and 10 minutes running 281 miles. I spent 15 hours and 32 minutes swimming 18,598 yards or approximately 11.25 miles.

When you consider that in 2007 I was doing nothing, these numbers are really larger than they appear.

There are many, many more triathletes who put in so much more mileage than me. They've been doing it for a while, though, and usually train for the longer distance races like the Ironman or the Half-Ironman. I do, however, foresee my mileage significantly increasing in 2009 for many reasons:
  • I'm planning on competing in at least six Sprint distances next season. I only did two in 2008.
  • While I'm competing in Sprint distances, I will begin an Olympic distance training plan in the Spring to be ready for my 2010 season where I will set my sights on Olympic distance races.
  • I didn't start biking until May this past year.
  • I didn't start swimming until June and quit in September due to no Y membership and colder water temperatures.
  • I now have a Y membership. I can train year-round.
  • I want to get out of being in the back-of-the pack and putting in the mileage will be conducive to that.

I took 2008 from a year of having my training pockets empty, to - for what was for me at least - bursting at the seams. I'm so grateful to have the good faculties to train and to compete. I don't take that for granted for one single day.

Here's to a wonderful 2009!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...