Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Y" Me?

The other day, Gary mentioned that I just didn't seem myself the last couple of days.

Now, over the years, I have developed a keen sense of quickly determining what the root of my current emotional state is, good or bad. My sometimes pensive or taciturn dispositions usually needed to be explained away to friends or family, lest they misinterpret what's really going on.

After he mentioned this, I paused for about five seconds - my thoughts scurrying about for the explanation - and proclaimed: "I really think it's the cold weather. It's just so much harder for me to get going, to get motivated."

He listened to my diagnosis, smiled broadly and announced, "Well, Baby...your Christmas present from me is a membership to the Y."

I turned my head to face him and said, "Really? I can go ahead and get it today?"

He said yes. He was going to wait until Christmas-time, but it was clear to him that now would be a better time to gift-give.

I called the Y to see what all they needed. The lady on the phone said, "You can come over today and someone can take care of you as long as we're open. But, we're starting a membership drive on Monday and if you wait until then, we'll waive the activation fee."

As excited as I was to get in a pool immediately, I am practical and decided to wait until Monday to save the money. I had waited this long. What's another 6 days?

I'm most excited about being able to swim. That is the sport with which I struggle the most, but it is easily the most enjoyable.

I'm also excited about being able to run indoors, and about having access to the equipment to start Crossfit strength training.

I'm just thrilled about it all, really.

Thanks for my early Christmas gift, Gary. You...are...AWESOME!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...