Friday, September 26, 2008

Personal Record on My 3 Mile Run

During my tri two weekends ago, it took me a little over 33 minutes to do 3 miles. Last week, during training, I ran 3.35 miles in a little over 36 minutes.

Yesterday, during training, I ran 3 miles in a little over 28 minutes, a personal record for me. What is even more interesting about that time is that I actually walked 2 minutes of it.

Now, I have learned that one's pace improves when he runs in cooler temperatures. I "talked" with some other folks on BT who have experienced the same thing, so I do believe that the improvement in my pace yesterday is 95% the result of better weather conditions. The remainder I will attribute to just simply getting better.

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad about this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be happy. I haven't swam since Caesars Tri. There is always time to improve your swimming over the winter. Take a break and focus on the run this fall. It's a great time to improve and there are a TON of great races out there.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the run. Nice blog. If I were you, I would take 2 or 3 weeks off completely and just find some other ways to workout- or not. Point is, just make it unstructured. Next season is going to be here before you know it. Best thing to do is take some time off now, so you don't burn out on the training. I know it doesn't seem like you would do that, but it happens. Then just plan to get back into it mid-October and start planning for next year. I would imagine you would want to do a few more sprints and possibly work toward an oly distance or even a half at the end of the season. Those are well within your reach. Just keep the volume of your weeks manageable and on some regular periodized schedule like X, X+10%, X+15%, X-20%. Translated this might be 10, 11, 12, 8 hours respectively in terms of number of hours trained. It's important to follow a schedule like this so you can fatigue your muscles and increase the volume, while still giving yourself that fourth week to recover. Good luck and keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

There's a few of us who may brave the Caesar Creek lake one more time in about 2 weeks if the weather holds. You are certainly welcome to join us!

Mary

Anonymous said...

Great job at Toyota...I followed your blog link from the Cincy Express board...Toyota was my first tri last year and I was slow but hooked! Welcome to CE and hopefully I'll see you around. Nice video.

peace,
Dusty

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...