Saturday, August 9, 2008

To Swim - to Really Swim - Is Beautiful

Gary and I went out to the lake for my OWS Friday evening. The first half seemed a struggle; I just could not get a hold of my breathing. Even though I told myself not to be, I think, subconsciously, I was afraid of my surroundings. Once I realized I was doing this and could really relax, things started to take great shape.

According to the Total Immersion method of swimming, you must keep your bicep stiff and your forearm limp as it comes up out of the water and before it slices back in. This is something I've focused on the last couple of swims and really got the hang of it today.

As always, this brings me to a new dilemma. When my hand enters the water, it seems to be doing so at a 90-degree angle. I don't know if that's problematic, but I can say that, at this point, regardless of whether it's improper or not, I'm swimming better.

I also focused on making sure that that same arm is continuously moving. One thing I noticed about my swim, which was holding me back, was that I would pause for a moment or two after switching arms so my entry-arm was just kind of hanging out. Once I focused on keeping it moving, my swim improved as did my confidence.

So, once I relaxed and focused on keeping my entry-arm moving continuously, I swam for quite a while with no stopping. It was absolutely the most peaceful time I've ever had in the water. What a day.

P.S. Oh, and we came back home and I biked for 12 miles.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...