Sunday, June 22, 2008

First Tri in 6 Days

My first triathlon is in 6 days. It's a quarter mile swim, a 12 mile bike and a 2 mile run. Just 2 days ago, I biked 13 miles for what was easily the longest ride in my entire life.

Just 6 days before that, I biked 7 miles for what was - at that time - easily the longest ride in my entire life.

It's smart to increase just a little bit more with every few sessions, but I just don't have that kind of time.

I've done a really bad job of training with regard to biking and swimming. Not getting my bike functioning sooner and not getting a Y membership have hampered my ability to train in those sports.

On the positive side, my running has gone really well. I'm at about a 10 minute mile and I owe it all to ChiRunning. Bad knees were keeping from running, but I run knee-pain free now; plus I exert less energy which helps.

I'll be doing at least one brick this week (biking and then immediately following up with a run). I'll do an open water swim out at the lake, too, to acquaint myself with this aspect of the race.

Swimming? Worse comes to worse, I can always backstroke the thing.

How am I feeling? I typically don't get butterflies until right before the event. The reality of what I'll be doing, though, has sunk in and I'm excited and a little anxious. I've been wanting to do a tri for 9 months and now the time is here. I just can't believe I'll be doing this.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...