Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rest in peace my first pair of running shoes

To say that I ran too many miles in these shoes is as hardcore of an understatement as saying that three-time Ironman champ Chrissie Wellington "sure does trains a lot."

I should have bought a new pair about a year-and-a-half ago. Heck, I've put close to 600 miles in the last two years alone - NOT including dog walks.

It was, however, through my recent longer runs that I began to see the strong correlation between the decomposition of my shoes and the possibility for injury. I began to notice an aching in the balls of my feet and just felt less supported the longer I ran.

Because the guy from whom I'd bought these shoes did such a great job of helping me decide which ones to buy to begin with, I went back to his shop. I ended up getting the New Balance shoe that replaced the 858, the 850. So far so good.

Maybe I'm just sentimental. Nah, it's really more likely that I'm just cheap, but I definitely had grown fond of those shoes. They were with me during my first triathlon, both on the run and on the bike as I didn't have clipless then. They've been with me through good and bad times of training and have carried me through three seasons of triathlon. Last but not least, they helped me finish my first half marathon a month ago.

So I take this opportunity to say farewell and thank you - and, of course, to say hello to my very sweet, very solid, new running shoes. I look forward to hundreds of miles together, just not as many as with my last pair.

5 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Its always tough saying goods bye to one pair and hello to a new one. the new one takes time to adjust into your running style.

Unknown said...

Wow - that is one old pair of shoes! I would say you definitely got your money's worth!

Lora Abernathy said...

Thanks for that reminder, Diesel. I need to keep remembering that. Yeah, Bill. Very old, indeed!

ciro foster said...

Lora, please, change your old pair of shoes to avoid injury!! I am in trouble for a pair of old shoes too!
I run 'only' 1000 km.(about 640 my) with my favorite Mizuno wave rider 12, but it was too much......Now I am rehabilitating with a speciaL SWIMMING PROGRAM!!!!!!

marmot said...

Great shoes..I like that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...