Friday, October 10, 2008

Taking My Own Advice

I've given some advice to a couple people over the last few days. They were stuck in a motivational slump of sorts. Basically, my advice was to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

It's so easy to look ahead at what all we need to do and get overwhelmed, frustrated and discouraged.

For example, I haven't run in the last few days because of a pinched back and rainy weather. I'm running about 3.5 - 3.75 miles now, and starting back into my routine with such a long run as my goal was discouraging to me.

So, I decided to just run 2 miles and to have fun. I just needed to "do it," to just put on my running shoes and go.

I'm so glad I did. I had my best time on a 2-mile run at about a 9 min./mile pace. A "perfect" run would have been going my longest distance, but I couldn't let the ideal run be the enemy of a "good" run.

Doing a little bit of something is better than doing nothing at all. It's all about just taking a step - any sized step - in the right direction.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...